Thursday, March 9, 2017

Simplicity

Jesus answered, "If you want to be  perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." Matthew 19:21 NIV

Funny how life can get over complicated. The microwave was invented to make cooking faster. Cell phones were made to make our lives easier. Cars make it faster to get us where we need to go. Washer and dryers make it a lot easier to do laundry.

I have heard about how when someone visits a country on a mission trip he/she expects all this devastation and how sad these people must be. Instead he/she finds the happiest people. They have learned to be happy in their circumstances.

The other day I asked a young man if he would like to go on this spiritual retreat. He was all excited and said he would think about it until I told him, "Oh yeah, by the way you can't take your cell phone." Immediately, he said, "There's no way I can do that."

What are we willing to give up to make our lives simpler? Can you sell your possessions and give to the poor? There are some things I would have a hard time giving up, but if the Lord asked me too, I could.

Apparently, tonight he wants me to give up TV since our fifteen month old TV bit the dust. So tonight we are living life a little bit simpler.


No comments:

Post a Comment