Friday, March 10, 2017

Fast

While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them." So after they had fasted and prayed, they placed their hands on them and sent them off. Acts 13: 2-3 NIV

A month ago I had to fast from midnight until mid-morning, so I could get some blood work drawn. This was not difficult for me since I usually don't eat during that time anyway and I don't drink coffee. By the time I was done and back home, it was my usual breakfast time.

I couldn't imagine being like Jesus when he went into the desert and fasted and prayed for 40 days and nights. He had to be starving!

Someone at a cover dish one time said, "I can't eat because I'm fasting." I also know of a pastor who will fast from Saturday afternoon until after she has given her sermon on Sunday.

Those who are able to do this, I admire.

I fasted a little bit. At one time, I fasted lunch once a week to spend time in prayer. This was something I really felt God calling me to do. My husband wasn't seeing the same plan. During this time, I wrote out questions and search the Bible because I couldn't understand why God would tell us different things. It wasn't until my husband confessed that he wasn't seeking God that we were able to finally answer God's call.

Other times during Lent, I have fasted soda, my favorite store, french fries, chocolate...it wasn't easy but whenever I felt a craving for one of these things I would pray and the desire went away. Other times instead of fasting I added something like finishing the editing of a book, praying more deeply, and this year instead of just posting the picture of the day I decided to write about that picture.

To fast ins't easy, but following God isn't always easy either. Sometimes you just want to do what everyone else is doing. I have learned though that fasting has brought me closer to God and through that closeness I am able to see His way is so much better than my way and that has made a big difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment