Friday, March 24, 2017

Restored

Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. Psalm 51:12 NIV

Sometimes I enjoy watching the TV shows where houses are restored. Before  HGTV, there was PBS shows like "This Old House." My husband and I would enjoy watching this show, instead of taking an hour to restore a complete house it would take weeks or even months. It was fun to watch how they would painstakingly make an old house look restored. It would be fresh and look like it was before age and general wear and tear wore it down.

I enjoy watching the newer versions of transforming hopeless homes into a livable dream-come-true homes. Of course each project isn't without it's problems. Sometimes there is lead paint or asbestos, sometimes termites, sometimes an unsafe foundation...but these contractors make the homes safe once again.

Restoration can happen with old furniture too. I can remember my dad working on a rocking chair that once belong to someone in the family. He scraped off layers and layers of paint, reveling the natural wood. He would sand it smooth and start again until it was ready for stain. My grandma kept that rocking chair as long as she could.

We can be restored too. There are times when we've become worn out by disease, age, life circumstances. We can become torn down by words, our mistakes, our doubts. The good news is God can come in and transform us back into the person we weren't meant to be. The restoration may not be easy, but it's all worth it when we have the Joy of the Lord for our strength.


No comments:

Post a Comment