Monday, March 6, 2017

Silent

Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth. Psalm 46:10

Around my house silence rarely happens. There is always someone making noise: toys banging, dishes clanging, music playing, children talking...Never a quiet moment around here.

There are times though when children are napping or at night when the entire household is asleep and silence fills the house. It's in these moments I try to be still and silence my mind before God. Do you know how hard it is to make my mind stop thinking? This is often evident when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep because my mind won't be quiet.

Sometimes I know the Lord wants to speak to me, and I can't hear Him because of my mind wandering. I wonder what He has to say, and I really want to listen but it's so hard.

Our world is so full of noise that it's hard to keep silent. Right now even with nap time going on I am sitting here hearing all kinds of noises. Spring must be arriving because the birds are sure chirping up a storm. The kitty is moving so I hear the jingle of his bell. I have the windows open so I can hear the traffic going by and neighbors talking. An occasionally, the dog has to make sure she's heard. The fish tank filter is bubbling water. So even without electronics there is a lot of noise.

So how important is it for us to be silent? I believe it's pretty important because without the silence how can we reconnect with the One who wants to guide us. As we go through our day maybe we can not turn on the radio in our cars or any other noise makers and try to hear the Lord, once you can quiet your mind. I am sure He has some important message to give us.


No comments:

Post a Comment