Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Emptiness

For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver and gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. 1 Peter 1:18-19 NIV

Have you ever wanted something so badly that you were willing to do almost anything to possess it? Did you feel your life would be complete if you could only own it? What happened after you finally received the item? More than likely you craved to have something else.

No matter how much stuff we own, there is always a desire to get more. We feel like our lives are empty until we get the latest item.

Quite a few years ago, I used to enjoy shopping on Black Friday. It seemed like the deals were just to good to pass up. Now I didn't go as far as camping out in front of stores to be first in line. In fact, I didn't get up before dawn either to catch all the early bird specials. I just went shopping.

I remember the year my grandma, mom, aunt, and me all went shopping. My aunt had a list of places she wanted to go, so she could get her boys gifts. I'm pretty sure I had a list too. We had a wonderful time shopping, we didn't get mobbed, and we had a fabulous lunch out.

A few years later we began a new tradition of camping on Thanksgiving weekend and now we just stay at the campground enjoying nature. It's a wonderful time as well. We don't feel like we've missed out on anything, we don't feel empty.

Sometimes though we feel so empty, that we feel the need to get filled up. Some of us fill up with spending time with friends, some of us fill up with the need to get rich, and some of us fill the emptiness with drugs or alcohol. Does any of this make you feel completely full?

One thing I have learned is the only way I can truly be filled is by my Lord and Savior. He is the one who can satisfy my thirst and hunger. He is the one who can help me feel calm. He is the one who let's me know I'm loved.

So the next time you feel like the emptiness consumes you, call on the One who will completely satisfy.


No comments:

Post a Comment