Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Repent

From that time on Jesus began to preach, "Repent for the kingdom of heaven is near." Matthew 4:17 NIV


Most have seen it or heard it, "Repent, repent for the kingdom of heaven is near. Turn away from your evil ways and turn to the Lord, so you don't enter into the gates of hell!"

I'm not sure how many people have been saved by the Fire and Brimstone preaching, but I don't think God wants you to accept Him because you've been scared to death. Maybe that's what it takes for some to accept Him.

Repent means to feel regret for something you've done. We've all been there. There are many different times in my life I regretted some choice I made. Sometimes the choice came from my anger and sometimes it came from my jealousy. I didn't take the time to pray about it before I reacted, I just reacted.

Yesterday afternoon was one of those trying afternoons for me. It really pushes my buttons every time a child disrespects me. When you are trying to correct a child and teach him/her the way you want him/her to behave, it makes it very difficult when that child laughs at you or tells you "You're not my boss." Luckily, I had been praying about him/her behaving and I was able to stop myself from reacting in an improper way. So this time I have no regrets.

Most of the times when I do react in a way I ended up regretting, I go to the Lord and repent. I don't believe I will see the gates of hell! Like some preachers would want me to think, but I repent because I love God and I don't want to displease Him. Besides after I repent, I no longer feel any regrets.

So repent to get yourself free from regrets not because someone scared you into it.






No comments:

Post a Comment