Tuesday, June 24, 2014

You Can Do It

But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness. Hebrews 3:13 NIV

Eleven months ago, I did something daring, a little crazy even. When I went to register my daughter for dance class, I found out that adult clog was right after so I signed up. I didn't plan on being in the recital. If I messed up in the recital I figured I would never hear the end of it.

The first night wasn't to bad, I remembered quite a few of the steps. I was rusty, but it came back. I actually enjoyed going and trying.

A few months into it my "extra" daughter encouraged me. She told me I needed to be in the recital and not worry about messing up. The deal was if I did it she would be there. So because of her I took the plunge and agreed to be in it.

Friday was our dress rehearsal, and I admit for me it was a mess up rehearsal. I couldn't believed I messed up as much as I did, I mean I've been practicing this dance three times a day since we starting learning it. Trust me when I say, I needed to. Some of those steps were hard, but I was determined and eventually got them (sort of). At one point during the dance I completely went blank.

"It's OK, that's what today is about. Tomorrow you'll do fine," my dance teacher encouraged me.

I realized something though, I completely forgot to do something-PRAY. God is such an important part of my life and for some reason I didn't pray before I started. I might have mentioned it to him earlier in the day, but not the way I normally would have.

How could I forget to include Him in one of the most important events of my weekend?

That night I covered my entire dance in prayer. I didn't ask to be perfect just to not let me forget any steps and to do my best.

I was a bit more nervous, my family was now in the audience and my "extra" daughter. But I also had a peace.

Standing on stage left watching the dance before me, I relaxed a little. "God be with me." The lights went out and we "quietly" walked out and took our places. The lights came up and the music started. I danced my way through, talking to myself the entire time.Apparently my face looked serious as I danced; I had to say the steps and how many or I wouldn't have made it.

Triple, shuffle, shuffle, almost done, shuffle...I made it through! A couple little mess ups, but nothing major. "Thank you God."




Lights went down and we were off, the next dance was right behind us.

I'm so glad my extra daughter encouraged me. It was a lot of fun and great exercise. Who knows I may be back!




No comments:

Post a Comment