Tuesday, June 3, 2014

A Change of Pace

By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. Genesis 2:2 NIV

Another school year is winding down, soon all to soon the kids will be out for the summer. The excitement of another grade level completed or of graduating from elementary, middle, high school, or college is felt. On the last day of school kids will scream, "School's out for the summer!"

My schedule drastically changes for the next ten weeks. Now instead of just two kids all day, my house will be full with at least five kids all day. They will do everything to push my nerves to the limit, but somehow we will muddle through.

Our summer break won't be all bad. We will go on field trips, play, swim, try our hand at crafts or wacky experiments. Most importantly though we get a rest from our ten month routine.

No longer will I have to watch the clock to make sure I leave at just the right time to get my spot at the school. No longer will I need to grade any school work or help with homework.

Sometimes with our hectic lives we can find it difficult to take a rest once a week. It's hard for us to rest on Sundays because by the time we get home the afternoon is half over. Sometimes we are able to sneak in a nap, but most of the time we have to play catch up from what we didn't accomplish during the week.

Maybe this is why I, in a way, look forward to summer. Everyday I get a longer rest period-the joy of day care-nap time. Instead of barely two hours of rest we usually get two and a half hours of rest. The extra half hour can make a difference. I've been known to snore a little during this rest time--Shh! That's a secret. Sometimes though I just get more time to write or read.

Vacations are another thing I look forward to during the summer. The chance to relax away from home is very refreshing. Even with rain everyday. At least it's a chance to rest from my work.

Whatever your plans are this summer (maybe your schedule doesn't change at all) take the time to relax and rest from your work. You will find your life a little less stressful and easier to manage.


No comments:

Post a Comment