Tuesday, February 25, 2014

A Broken Glass

All Scripture is God breathed an dis useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 NIV

"Just a chip, thank goodness," I thought six months ago when another glass had fallen from the cabinet and hit my Disney glass as it careened to the floor. "I'm sure glad my glass didn't break."

So these past few months I have continued to use my glass just not the side with the chip in it, that was until a couple of weeks ago. While unloading the dishwasher I noticed one of the glasses in the cabinet wasn't placed where it needed to be, so I fixed it.

I continued to put dishes away only to hear chenck, tumble, crash..."I hope my glass is alright." I turned to look and this time my Disney glass was in a billion pieces. I wondered why because it was safely sitting on the counter. That's when I discovered the culprit--the glass I had just adjusted.

Tears welled up in my eyes, it was my drinking glass. Now what was I to drink out of it? Of course we had other glasses, in fact I had one more Disney glass. It's just I need two, OK I don't need two, but I want two. That way I can still have a glass to drink out of while the other glass gets cleaned.

The next week was a challenge having only one glass, and finally I looked to see if I could purchase another Disney glass. I found a set of four for $20. Yippee, I can get those and have several back ups.

Finally, the day arrived my glasses were delivered. "If I knew those were glasses I wouldn't of just thrown the box in the door," my athletic son shared.

"Gee thanks."

Luckily no damage occurred to my new Disney glasses. I carefully unwrapped each one and noticed that each came with a official sticker. There was even a McDonald's bag from when one of the glasses were officially purchased.

"These are collector glasses mom," my mechanical son informed me.

"I understand that, but I plan on using them. That is after all why I bought them."

"Ah mom, you need to put these up. Look how clean and shiny they are," he shared.


I wonder why, so they can collect dust on a shelf. What's the point of having a glass if it's just going to sit on a shelf?

Sure collecting things is fun and maybe one day it will bring in an extra dollar or two, but what's the point? I mean weren't things made to be used?

Wasn't the Bible written with the intent of being read? God gave us His precious words all written down in one book; a book that's meant to be used. Not sat upon the coffee table or collecting dust on a shelf. A well used Bible will have finger stains, food/drink stains, maybe a page or two coming out. They'll be words highlighted; notes written in the margin.


Don't let God's word get dusty or become a collector's item-Read it, Study it, Love it, Live it...

No comments:

Post a Comment