Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Darkness Consumes

You, O Lord, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light. Psalm 18:28 NIV

The darkness is so hard to walk in, yet alone live in. Why do people want to stay in the dark? Is it easier in the dark?

It's hard to see what's in front of you in the dark. I experienced this once in a cave. I took a tour and while in a room they turned the light off. It was so dark I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. Is this why people choose to stay in the dark? Because if they hide in the dark, no one will see their flaws.

It's easier to hide, isn't it. Why should anyone know where you've fallen short? So much is expected of each of us, and we certainly wouldn't want to disappoint anyone. It's so much easier if no one knows my shortcomings. If I were in the light, than people would realize I'm not perfect.

The problem is though, while you've been in the dark you've turned people away. You haven't let anyone get close enough to get to know where you've messed up and fallen short. It's easier that way, isn't it? After all, no one can really see one another in the dark.

The hope to face another day, can disappear in the dark. Strange thoughts happen in the dark. Then there's a glimpse of light, not a big flame just a tiny glow from the spark of light shown. Your eye turns to it, maybe it would be better to live with this light. Anything would be better than the darkness.

You reach out and grab a hold of the light, it's no longer cold a warmth fills your soul. The things you thought were so terrible about yourself, turns out weren't so bad. The source of this light helps you, loves you unconditionally, and soon you become a new creation.

The imperfections are not so important, and so you shine with the light of Christ. God has turn your darkness into shining light for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment