Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Do You Really Hear Me?

My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry, " James 1:19 NIV

"We had pasta and sauce for dinner last night," the little girl shared.

"No, we didn't we had spaghetti for dinner last night," her brother was quick to correct her.

"Nah-uh"

"Uh-huh"

"Quit it you two, you're saying the same thing just listen to each other!"

Then later with my husband, "No you don't need to stay." I just finished talking about Bible study and the possibility he'd need to bring our daughter up. That's where my mind was when he asked if he'd need to stay. I mean why would he stay at a women's Bible study.

As I prepared to leave, he asked "So you'll get her from practice?"

"No you are, then you'll bring her to wherever I am."

"But then I need to stay."

"Yeah, it'd be kind of silly to drive back and turn around just to go back there."

"You said. I didn't need to stay." Ugh!

Oh, the misunderstanding that can happen just because we don't listen clearly. If I had stopped and listen to his question more clearly, or if he had paid attention as I went on to explain that men can't stay at our women's Bible study, then we would not have had to have the later conversation.

How often do we fail to listen? To hear what is clearly being said. Sometimes in the rush of things I fail to listen, or my mind wanders. I really want to listen, but something else pops into my head while I'm trying to listen.

As I was reminded later that evening, God gave us two ears and one mouth for a reason. It's so we can be quick to listen and slow to speak.

I hope this week I can listen and really understand what's being said, because sometimes the person talking to me just needs a listening ear not any advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment