Friday, May 6, 2016

A Mother's Teaching

Listen my son to your father's instruction and do not forsake you mother's teaching. They will be a garland to grace your head and a chain to adorn your neck. Proverbs 1:8-9 NIV

"Don't touch that, it's hot."

"Stop screaming!"

"No running in the house."

"Don't hit, no name calling, and no pushing!"

Words most of us mother's speak at one time or another. Some of our children pushed the banner anyway by touching the hot burner, falling in the house, or ending up in a big fight because they didn't listen to us mothers.

For me these phrases haven't stopped for several years. I even spoke them before I had children. When your work with children these phrases are part the norm usually with the same results, the kids pushing their limits.

These phrases though are not my most important teachings. For each child that has come through my home I hoped I taught them that God loves them. I try to let them know that everyday. One of the phrases we used to say a lot was, "that's OK God loves me anyway."  A spill would happen and I'd say it encouraging him/her that it was alright. The best time though was when I would spill something and I hear the young voices saying, "That's OK Ms. Diana, God loves you anyway."

Mothers are to nurture and guide their young children to walk with the Lord. Mothers are there when we fall down, when life is amiss, and as an encourager.

We grieve when we lose our mothers or as mothers we grieve when one of our children has lost his/her way. Some of us grieve because we haven't had the chance yet to be mothers.

This Sunday as we honor our Mothers look back upon all that your mother taught you and walk in the ways she taught.






No comments:

Post a Comment