Friday, April 29, 2016

So Much Stuff

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:19-21 NIV

To hoard or not to hoard, that is the question.

I really don't think of myself has a hoarder, I can somewhat easily get rid of things. But sometimes I hold unto it just in case I might need it again, one never knows.

These past three weeks have changed my mind. I have packed over 40 boxes of stuff, thrown out 12 bags of garbage, and donated 7 bags of clothing and another box of old toys. It amazes me how quickly we can gather stuff. It wasn't that long ago when we painted the bedrooms-how in the world did they get so full?

It's hard to think of my stuff as treasures. Isn't a treasure a chest full of gold? Could 200 teddy bears qualify? There were also the kids old school work and projects and lots and lots of photos. Books we might like to read again. Trophies from sports activities. Tons of games because we might have a Family Game Night. All kinds of things that we'd forgotten we even owned. Stuff, stuff, and even more stuff.

So I guess our stuff holds a lot of memories and maybe that is why we still have it.

We're told not to treasure up things here on earth where moth and rust destroy (let's not forget about the dust bunnies that quickly accumulate), and maybe we haven't done such a great job of keeping our treasures to a minimum. Bottom line is if God asked us to get rid of it, I believe we could do it. I may grieve for months about having to sacrifice my teddy bear collection (no husband, I don't think I'm asked to do that. At least not yet.), but I know God has a better plan for me and because of that I would be willing to do it.

Maybe this is what this verse means, are you willing to give up treasures here in order to receive better treasures in heaven? Truthfully, I believe I could. Do you think you could the same?


No comments:

Post a Comment