Thursday, January 28, 2016

Over and Over

This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live in the truth. But if we walk in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. 1 John 1:5-7 NIV

Funny, how a certain verse comes to your attention over and over. Yesterday I must have read this verse four times: in a devotion, in my Bible reading, the verse of the day, and at Bible study. I guess God wanted me to really receive this message.

When this happens to me I begin to question God, so I can figure out the why. Maybe it was because I was walking in darkness or maybe because I felt lonely, but no that wasn't the reason. At least not for me at this time, right now there a few things going on in my life but none of them are leading me to darkness. Nope, I keep my eye on the light.

Nearest I can figure is I have received this message because I have some friends who are dealing with the darkness. Someone I know has isolated herself in her home since the death of her husband. She can't seem to put one foot in front of the other to leave her house.

Isolation can be good for a time, but we need to fellowship with other believers so that we can be encouraged. My Tuesday night Bible study group brings me encouragement. We meet together and try to muddle through a lesson, mostly we share and encourage each other during the rough times. We get encouraged by each other when we share the good times. This an important part of my life, and when we don't meet I crave it.

Other friends I know are dealing with health or financial issues. It saddens me when Sunday comes around and they don't come to church. They have legitimate excuses, but Sunday after Sunday they find it easier to remain home rather than come fellowship with others. As I sit in service on another Sunday without them there, my heart grieves for them.

Church is such an important part of my life I just can't imagine not attending. There is just something about coming together to worship and learn more about this awesome God of ours. My heart becomes glad and I am able to endure another week with whatever is thrown at me. If it wasn't for the encouragement I receive from others or singing praises to God I don't know how I could get through the darkest days.

So maybe this verse repeated throughout my day was so I could encourage others to try to walk in the light. Trust me the light is much better than the darkness.


No comments:

Post a Comment