Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Tough Decisions

Now when Daniel learned that the decree had been published, he went home to his upstairs room where the windows opened toward Jerusalem. Three times a day he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to his God, just as he had done before. Daniel 6:10 NIV

The email I had waited for finally arrived; attached was the new dance schedule.

A year ago I decided to take a clogging class and at first I just wanted to take it; no recital just a chance to clog again. I clogged in my teens and my daughter had taken clogging for several years, and I wanted to try it again. Finally, it was my turn! The class was on a night I could attend. Eventually, I decided to take the plunge and be in the recital. I enjoyed myself.



I had hoped that this year the dance class would be at a time when I could go. I opened the attachment and quickly found Adult Clog. My heart broke...

The class had now been moved to Wednesday nights. A choice had to be made-do I give up on the Kids Mid-Week Barefoot Club or do I give up on dance? It felt like I had to choose between God and the world (not that the dance class is worldly). The decision was clear to me. I would no longer be attending dance class.



This choice between God and the world is not a new one. Daniel had to face this choice many years ago. A decree had been issued to worship and pray to the king. Daniel knew this was wrong. He knew his God was bigger and better. He knew the consequence of his choice-to be thrown into the lions den. He chose to serve His God no matter what. Daniel was thrown into the lions den, but he was not torn to pieces. God, the one and only God, sent an angel to shut the mouths of the lions. He was saved and because he was saved a new decree was issued to worship God.

One man had the courage to stand up. My choice to serve God won't get me thrown into the lions den. In fact, I won't be punished at all. I just know for me I have to serve God where He wants me to serve. I also know that God gives us the desires of our hearts. If my desire is to clog somehow He will work it out, whether its by YouTube or some other way.

This last week I served as an Adult Volunteer at Warren Willis Camp. The theme for this year is Chosen to Love and Serve. God has chosen each of us. He loves you and He has chosen you. He loves me and He has chosen me. It was good to be reminded. I will love Him and I will serve Him wherever He calls me to go after all I am Chosen.









2 comments:

  1. Wednesday night practices and other opportunities have become the huge distraction for those who attend church. It makes me sad because there no longer seems to be much respect for the two days of the week when faithful families want to worship God. You made the right decision, Diana, and hopefully, others in the class will do the same. Thanks for sharing this story...we are to be set apart with regards to worship as a priority if we are to be of use to Him.

    ReplyDelete