Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Trouble's A Coming

Some men came and told Jehoshaphat, "A vast army is coming against you from Edom..." Alarmed Jehoshaphat resolved to inquire of the Lord and he proclaimed a fast for all of Judah. 2 Chronicles 20:2a & 3 NIV

Fear griped me as I entered the court room, this could be the day I lose my home or a day when victory is won. My lawyer told my husband and me to make sure we were current on our mortgage. I had managed to get a little behind again, but by this court date I had caught back up.

My husband and I had prepared for this battle long before we entered the court room that day. We had prayed and asked God to let us keep our home. We knew it was coming and we wanted to have victory.

Our turn came and the judge asked the lawyer representing the mortgage company what the status of our payment was. "Well it seems computers are down and I am unable to locate any of the current information."

Victory was ours. God was there fighting the battle for us. I am glad to say, 14 years later we are still residing in our home.

When I read this chapter in Chronicles last week, Jehoshaphat's faith struck me. A huge army was about to attack him. His first gut reaction wasn't to seek his military advisers, the priests, or even his friends. No, the first thing he did to prepare was to inquire of the Lord and to fast.

My gut reaction when hearing about something difficult, I'll admit isn't always to pray. There are times when I plan the battle out in my head. I form my own game plan. Then eventually I pray. Of course, my plans may change after I pray, and that's alright.

I wish praying was my first instinct. A lot of times I grow frustrated, angry. I want to lash out and fight the enemy back. Eventually prayer comes and God handles my battle. It'd just be easier on me if I sought Him first.


No comments:

Post a Comment