Tuesday, January 21, 2014

My Work is for ...

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men. Colossians 3:23 NIV

Last week I shared how frustrated and disappointed I was, then just when I needed it God sent me a message. Messages from God can come in different ways, either from reading scripture, sometimes from a friend, and then sometimes from a speaker.

I had been looking forward to our January writer's group meeting. This past month was special as we had a guest author, Suzanne Woods Fisher, sharing her insights of what she's learned on her journey. Her message was simple, but packed a lot of punch.

"You are writing for God and not for men."

Right then I knew God was speaking to me. It's not about book sales or how many people are reading what I share. It's about doing what God's called me to do. One of the callings He has given me is to write.

My first short story I wrote was in high school. I took creative writing my senior year, and one of our assignments was to write a short story. My teacher really liked it and submitted it to be included in the Gavillion, a creative writing book that was distributed around the high school. Not only was it included, but I won second place along with $10.

Then the disappointment came in college. I was in the English class with a big head, after all I won a prize surely I must know how to write. This teacher brought me back down to earth, and helped me realize that I have a lot to learn. It took me awhile to accept that, but eventually I did.

I didn't write anything for years. Then God called me back at a women's retreat. The message to me was to write, write so people understand that God's word is true. At first it was poems and then a story. Now two and a half stories later and several devotions, I am reminded I write for Him. My work is in His hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment