Tuesday, August 27, 2013

It Doesn't Matter or Does It?

This is what the LORD Almighty says, "Give careful thought to your ways." Haggai 1:7 NIV

"Why am I here?" I thought as I stood in a dark alley witnessing a cloth placed over a body.

"Someone must be dead," my thoughts continued. "Why is Sue Thomas FBI here and her gang, and Monica that's strange. She must be about to tell them that God loves them." Then I woke up.

That was a strange dream. Funny, how it blended two shows I like to watch together. So what I watch does register in my brain then plays out sometime later in the shows in my head at night. Most of the time I don't remember what I dream, but occasionally I am awoken by some strange dream.

As a teenager I ended up watching one of those horror movies, and let me tell you the horror in that movie stayed with me for years. Sometimes now the thought reenters my brain and scares me half to death. I've heard it said, "It doesn't affect me, not at all. I can watch whatever I want." I have a feeling he/she are lying, because I am sure in some way it does affect them.

My mechanical son as a young boy would often wake in the middle of the night with a nightmare of falling down a hole. I had no idea why, and would reassure him he was OK and quickly he'd fall back asleep. Finally, I realized where his nightmare was coming from "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" a movie he liked to watch. In one scene Tom falls down a hole, once he stopped watching the movie the nightmares ended.

Another thing that change his and my atheletic son's behavior was when they'd watch "Power Rangers". As soon as the show was over there would be a lot of karate chopping, hitting, and shooting going on. Once I didn't allow them to watch the show anymore, it was back to their normal active boy behavior.

So does it matter or not what we watch? I have enough experience to believe it does. Why else would God tell us to give careful thought to our ways? Need proof. Try not watching anything violent or playing anything violent or scary for a few weeks and just wait for results.

No comments:

Post a Comment