Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Bitterness Will Make One Bitter

Each heart knows its own bitterness, and no one else can share its joy. Proverbs 14:10 NIV

The evening started as usual we sat in our familiar places and awaited a fun night of bowling. Sure my side of the table was filled with a tissue box and hand sanitizer due to a cold that began earlier that day, but it could still be a fun night. We got our ten minutes to warm up and that went well.

As it turns out one on the other team hadn't arrived yet, he has a couple frames to arrive no big deal. So a little teasing began to occur. Unfortunately, one on their team didn't take it very well. She got rather loud and obnoxious. The teasing ended long before her tirade ended.

It's customary at the end of bowling three games to let the other team know by a handshake or words that it was good bowling with them. This bowler refused to shake hands and became even ruder than before.

This got me thinking why is she so bitter? Has she not experience true forgiveness? When have I been bitter and let something eat at me? The truth is plenty of times.

There have been times when I've been hurt or upset by someone. I admit there have been times when I've wanted to hold onto that hurt or pain. When I do this all it does is tare me up inside, my joy soon disappears. I act differently towards the person who has hurt me.

Luckily though it doesn't last too long. Soon I remember my Father's love for me and His forgiveness then I'm able to forgive the offense and move on.

My hope is that each of us can experience what true forgiveness is like. Then we'll be able to forgive as He has forgiven us.

No comments:

Post a Comment