Tuesday, November 13, 2012

It Happens to the Best of Us

Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.  1 Peter 5:8 NIV

A quiet evening at home, I'd been looking forward to it all day. My schedule sometimes has me out almost every night, this night though I'd be home.

The last day care child had gone home, and I was trying to figure out what to heat up since Friday night is left over night. Instead though I ended up doing something I've never done at least to this extent.

My husband and mechanical son were having a conversation and it was not going well. Which can occur when a son gets old enough to be an adult and the parent has a hard time accepting that. My son had taken care of a problem he paid for it and all was well. Except my husband had to explain why he should of taken care of it sooner. I figured my son had learned a lesson and probably won't let it happen again, after he's an adult now.

Another issue came up, we had set aside a date for a family trip. I had checked with everyone and it seemed like a good date so it was set. Well now eight days before this trip this same son informs us he has something else. It's some thing he looks forward to a once a year thing. This is why I checked with him, so it wouldn't conflict. Instead of taking the minute to check his calendar; he just agreed it was a good date.

The tension got bad in the house. Usually I stay out of their tifts, but then the unthinkable happens. My husband blocks my son from leaving the room, and for a minute there I thought things were going from bad to worse. The lion was ready to devour.

I step in the middle yelled my peace and then had to calm down. I went out the front door, so I could regain my compusor. This didn't improve anything, instead it made things worse. So then I ended up back in trying to state my opinon only to be stopped by my son. I mean I really blew my top! I still had sense enough not to slap someone's face, but it took all I had.

The worse part of all this is, we all know the Lord. We all serve him and talk with him constantly, just not at this particular moment. The devil got a foothold and devoured each of us.

The good part is during the calming down I was calling out to the Lord. I sought his forgiveness and he graciously gave it. My son came to seek forgiveness from both of us, and I sought forgiveness from each of them. My husband did as well.

Did we handle this exactly right? No. But did we learn something, hopefully. I know I did, God is by my side and he can help me through even when those I love the most seem to be hurting me the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment