Tuesday, May 8, 2012

All day long I have been plagued; I have been punished every morning. Psalm 73:14 NIV

Another one bites the dust, as I tried to use a can opener it broke in my hands. It seems as though the past year I have had a can opener plague.

A few years ago I got a really nice hand operating can opener. It went around the edge of the can and I could pull off the lid without the worry of cutting myself. I liked it, my family did not. "It doesn't work for me," was the phrase I often heard as someone else in my family tried to use it.

Well as most things do, this can opener wore out. It still worked on occasion, but not very well. So the purchase of a new can opener was necessary. Looking in the store the decision was made to buy a nice hand held one. I brought it home and life was good--cans were opened with little complaint.

Soon though, all to soon the can opener no longer functioned well. It became difficult to open cans with it. Three or four or more times around became ridiculous. So a trip to the store was necessary as I had to once again pick a can opener. This time the cheapest one was chosen, with the thought that if it doesn't work than I didn't waste a lot of money.

Cans were opened once again, at least for a day. This one broke just after a couple of uses. Oh my, off to the store I went once again. This time the purchase was made of a more expensive one, and it worked for awhile at least. We even purchased this one for the church because the church's had disappeared. Someone else also bought one for the church. All the can openers worked for a year anyway.

The one at home broke once again. Then while at church trying to prepare a dinner both of the ones broke there. A quick run to the store brought a new one, and wouldn't you know it. It didn't work from the get go. Such a simple thing, and such a problem.

This time I wasn't taking any chances, I broke down and spent the extra money for an electric can opener.  The day came for it's first use, it took awhile and the reading of the directions but finally it opened a can! Well sort of, it opens most of the can. Two places are still connected on every can, so this requires two trips around.

So I've decided we must have a can opener plague. Sure I could take the new one back or call the manufacture, somehow though I don't think it will work. We after all have a can opener plague.

No comments:

Post a Comment