Monday, January 30, 2012

Not Always at My Best

Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33

The mother in me showed up this week as I watched my athletic son's basketball games. You see in my heart, I know my son can do a good job and play just as well as the others. During the first game of the week, a week with four games in it, I was discouraged that my son only played a short amount of time while five other players stayed in most of the game.

It was clear to me that these five needed a break and least for a couple of minutes. It also became apparent to my husband, and we wondered out loud why wasn't the coach subbing. We went away discouraged. My husband wanted to voice his opinion to the coach. Luckily, he had to take our nephew home.

I felt bad that I didn't keep my mouth as calm as I'd like, and voice my opinions in my head. I should have prayed then, but I didn't. Anyway, I decided the best way to handle this situation was to take it up with the Lord. After all He would understand my plea. We prayed all day, and trusted that this game would be different. It was my son got to play a lot more.  I went away happy.

Then the Lord sent a test, the next game our son didn't play at all. I tried harder to keep my tongue in check which I did a lot better at least for the most part. My husband though got upset again, he was ready to talk with the coach once again. This time I stopped him and reminded him of the agreement we signed, stating that we trust the coach to make the right decisions. It was not a pleasant ride home.

Again, I took my concerns to the Lord. Helped my disappointed son, and we prayed once again. The last game of the week brought about a lot of playing time for him.

So, duh, I guess the answer lies in the Lord. It's certainly tough when it's my kid that seems to be the one that gets looked over because I know how that feels. He was overlooked in the last sport he played too. Now I know there are some players that are better then him, some he plays equally well with, and some he's better than. All I want is what's best for him and what will help him grow into a fine man of God. I need to stay out of the way, and seek God first.

No comments:

Post a Comment