Friday, October 27, 2017

Who Is Really In Charge?

For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. It teaches us to say, "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope--the appearing of the glory of our great God, and Savior, Jesus Christ. Titus 2:11-13 NIV

Have you ever thought, "I didn't think it would be like this?" I know I have.

Today my Bible lesson taught me something new, it's so much fun to learn something new especially when it hits you in the head like a two-by-four. There are times when I am like Sarah. I try to control the situation and not let God handle it.

A lot of times, I really think I have left it with God and then I end up doing what I think He's asking me to do anyway. Then somehow it turns out, maybe it wasn't God's plan it was mine.

Last summer we were setting up for Splash Day at our church. The problem was it was thundering, now how are we supposed to have a water day outside when there is lightning and thunder. We still had time for this to go away, but it was troubling trying to figure out what we should do.

I checked the radar and it looked like it was supposed to move past us quickly, and yet it lingered. I also checked my calendar for possible dates we could reschedule, but that didn't seem like a possibility. So we pressed on. This day was to be a community outreach day to help build the bond between our church and the community, so it was important!

I need to share that these community outreach days are very important to our church right now. We are under the radar to improve our church attendance and finances. The pressure for these events to be successful are pretty great.

"In the name of Jesus, I command the storm to go away," I shouted out over and over again to be answered with a rumble of thunder. My control wanted it to stop setting up and my control said to myself, "this is going to be a terrible turn out." My control even wanted to leave.

We stuck it out though and through God's control the storm went away during the time of the Splash Day. We had a record number of families show up, gave away all of the school supplies, and even connected with a couple of new families in the neighborhood.

So when I stepped out-of-the-way God's grace appeared and His blessings were shared with those around our community.

Each time I try to take over, I need to remember who is really in charge? Because I really didn't think it would be like this.




No comments:

Post a Comment