Wednesday, September 27, 2017

"The Flag Still Stands for Freedom"

"I have the right to do anything," you say-but not everything is beneficial. "I have the right do anything"-but not everything is constructive. No one should seek their own good, but the good of others. 1 Corinthians 10:23-24 NIV

I'll admit Sunday, I had no idea what was going on. I don't watch football, so protesting it would be no problem for me anyway. I don't get all the money that is spent on watching a bunch of guys running around the field to try and get an oblong brown thing from one end of the field to the other, but those who want to watch I'm sure you enjoy it.

So Monday, I finally realized why these football players were not respecting the US flag and the National Anthem. At first I was upset, (I still am a little) I mean how dare they do this! After all, a lot of trouble was made to form this country. Truth is our country was founded because of a protest. A protest against the British Government where we declared our freedom. So now we have our freedom to do this.

Then I wondered what would George Washington think, would he approve of this display of disrespect? What would Besty Ross think, after all from what I learned, she sewed the first American flag. Would they be pleased? All that thought and fighting to help make the United States of America, and here two hundred plus years later we have no value for it.

What about Frances Scott Key? He was sure that the fighting throughout the night at Fort McHenry would see British flag flying over it in the morning, but to his glorious surprise "By the dawn's early light the flag was still there." Would he be pleased to see these protesters not respecting the flag?

Another thought occurred to me, how many of us at our jobs actually take once a week to stand and sing "The Star Spangled Banner" as a part of our work week? I mean I do because I am a preschool teacher and day care provider, so at least five days a week we pledge our allegiance. How many of us even stand up in our homes or at a bar/restaurant when the National Anthem plays? I'll admit I usually stay seated when it plays and I am home. In fact, I am probably busy doing something else.

I also thought about those Olympians who are so proud to hear "The Star Spangled Banner" play after they have one their gold medal. Sometimes it's kind of funny to watch them as they stumble through the words as they lip it or sing it, still they are very proud to be representing our country.

What about those serving our country? I can only imagine their feeling of pride when they arrive back home and see that Grand Ole Flag waving for them. I actually got to be in an airport and wave a flag for one of our service men arriving home. He couldn't see his family at the gate, but he was so happy to see all those flags and know he was Home.

Sure I understand that no one should be disrespecting out police, those who are here to help keep order and peace. Yes, something should be done to show this is not acceptable. But maybe there's a better way. A team taking goodies or something to a police station, showing them, "Hey, we're here for you!" I believe that would say so much more than taking a knee(Unless you're praying) while the National Anthem is playing.


No comments:

Post a Comment