Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Your Baby Has Less Hair Than Mine

If he anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself. Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, for each one should carry his own load. Galatians 6:3-4 NIV

"The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence."

Comparing ourselves to others, it's easy to get into a habit of looking to see what others have done. I've done it myself.

When my kids were younger I would compare what my child could do to what other's couldn't. If one of his/her friends had a new skill I wanted mine to learn it. I remember once while shopping a woman came up to me and my precious one year old and said, "your baby has less hair than mine."



I really didn't know how to respond. So I didn't. Now I could have found the latest fix for growing baby's hair, but I didn't. I knew one day he would get hair and hair he did indeed (remembering the mop phase). After this I was just grateful for every skill each of my children learned whenever they learned it.

Sometimes I've compared my self in my business. When my day care numbers are down and I see another provider with a full house, I wonder why and what could I do better. The same thing happens at church when children aren't attending like they used to and other peoples ministries are flourishing. I look for ways to improve. Or with my writing. Why does that person get so much more attention? It's all in God's hands.

Comparing ourselves is quite common.

Paul is telling us here though, that we should focus on our own personal responsibility. We should each look at what we are accomplishing for God and take pride in our own walk of faith.

So the next time I try to compare myself to someone, I should instead step back and look to see if I've accomplished what God wants of me. Then be proud of what He's accomplished through me.

No comments:

Post a Comment