Wednesday, February 18, 2015

You Can't Stop Me

Pray continually. 1 Thessalonians 5:17 NIV

A few days ago I read something that bothered me. "Why do you pray while driving? Doesn't God know what you need, so why bother?"

Now this bothered me not only because someone I care about who wrote it, but I pray all the time when I'm driving. Why wouldn't I? There are a lot of crazy drivers out there.

Prayer is simply having a conversation with God. Most of my day is spent in prayer, sometimes it's simple like "Help me out here." Other times it's a little more complex, "She's in the hospital again, please let her have a speedy recovery."

He answered their prayers, because they trusted in him. 1 Chronicles 5:20b NIV

So why do I bother to pray when God already knows what I need. Because it brings me comfort and peace. Sure God can handle things without me, I mean He has been around since before He created the world and He'll be around a long time after I leave here.

But my time spent in prayer helps me face everything I need to. Sometimes my days are peaceful, sometimes my days are chaotic, and sometimes I simply don't understand. The time I spend with God, whether it's a quick prayer or it's a long day after day problem, helps me get through it.

Ask and it will be given unto you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened unto you. Matthew 7:7 NIV

Another reason I pray is to ask. I ask God for things, and a lot of time He gives them to me. When I first started deepening my trust in God, I would ask for things and He would grant my request. Maybe it was so I would learn to trust Him. I'm not sure, but through that I've grown to understand that God's plan is better than mine.

Some may wonder how can that be since the person I loved the most died anyway. Or you may wonder why you're still sick why can't you just get well? How can this possibly be what's best for me?

It's hard to go through situations, illness, tough times...but for me I know it's when I've gone through these valleys that I've been made stronger.

Some may think I'm weak because I pray. It's in my weakness though God is made stronger maybe not in your life, but in mine.

Each of us have our own journey to walk, our own problems to face and through these situations we each have a choice to make-Do I trust God to see me through or do I try this on my own? And to those who try it on their own I have question for you-how's that working out for you? Why not give prayer a try, what could it hurt?


No comments:

Post a Comment