Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Laughter At Any Age

Sarah said, "God has brought me laughter, and everyone who hears about this will laugh with me." Genesis 21:6 NIV

The day was supposed to be filled with laughter and joy, instead my heart was heavy. I taught about laughter even told a few jokes, I managed to laugh at few which wasn't easy when a four-year-old made them up. How ironic was it that I felt like crying instead?

For some reason for a couple days I felt really down. Maybe it was because I wasn't included in something even though I had hope to be. Maybe I realized something wasn't going to happen no matter how much I wanted it too. Maybe it's the cloudy, dreary day.

I reached out to God, "please lift me from feeling so sad."

It didn't help as quickly as I wanted.

I tried to sing the praise songs.

But my heart wasn't lighten.

I tried to think of, "Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens..."

Unfortunately, that didn't work either.

Finally, someone I barely know began to ask me questions. Not about anything that was bothering me, but about other things. I began to focus on other things and the gloom began to melt away.



Laughter is good medicine or at least that's what I've heard. Last night my daughter and I had a good laugh. It actually got cold and damp enough for me to pull out my jacket. I quickly put it on and got in the van to drive. I felt something strange on my jacket. After I backed up, I struggled to pull it off. It was attached like glue.

Somehow I managed and handed it to my daughter, thinking it was a soft head band. "Here, I don't know what this is."

She looked it over, "It's a sock." She laughs.

"A sock? How does a sock get stuck to my jacket?" I laughed until tears filled my eyes.

So this week I am going to try to laugh more than feel sad. I am going to try to find humor throughout my day. Much like Sarah did when at the age of 90 gave birth to her first born.


No comments:

Post a Comment