Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Homes, Homes, and Even More Homes

But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the river, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15 NIV

Riding through different towns, landscapes, farming land one thing was common-homes. Everywhere I went there were homes. Homes of different shapes. Homes of different sizes. Homes that sat upon the ground, and homes that were built on stilts. Homes that had sat vacant for years.

Another thing most of these homes had in common was someone living in them. I only got to see the outside, but the outside could tell you things about the families who lived there.

Some had play forts or swing-sets or a play car. Some had a basketball hoop. More than likely children lived in these homes.

Some had immaculate yards, someone in those homes either enjoyed gardens or enjoyed paying someone to take care of their yard.

Some homes had old cars sitting off to the side of the yard. My son said, "I guess when it stops working you just set it off to the side and get another one."

The most interesting homes we found were the ones that could only be accessed by Hwy 12. The part where you need a 4 X 4 to get to it. We discussed how one must really know what they need when he/she goes out, it was not a quick journey to town.



One thing we found interesting among these homes in the country side were grave yards. It seemed one could just pick a place and bury your loved ones. My daughter thought it was strange to see tombstones fenced off, but then just a few feet away were several more not included in the fenced in part.

I thought one graveyard's placement was interesting. There it sat in the middle of the property line, which house did they belong too.

Focusing on these homes, I wondered "do these families worship the Lord?"

What do our homes say about us? Do they show whom we serve?

When someone drives by my house, I'm sure he/she thinks we must own a car lot. They might think I need to work in my yard a little more, but it's a lovely home.

I like it when I can have someone over for a visit. A few times we hosted a dinner party and invited a family over to spend the evening with us. We shared dinner together and either sat and visited or we played games. It was a time to get to know each other better.

We've also been invited to other people's homes and seen a glimpse of them inside their homes. These have been times of laughter and joy. Especially the one time when we played a game in the dark because the power went out.

It's at these times with the people in the homes when we get to know whom they serve or they get to know whom we serve. It's important.


No comments:

Post a Comment