Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Spiritual Tank Run Dry

As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. Psalm 42:1 NIV

Working outside in the heat, cleaning house, waking up, dancing & exercising...all of these things bring on thirst. A thirst that needs to be quenched. When I don't take care of it the dryness in my mouth gets worse. When I finally get to the source, I can't get enough. I drink and drink until I get my fill.

Funny thing though the thirst will quickly return as soon as I return to the activities. It'd be nice just to have my thirst be satisfied.  Alas, I must drink again.

Funny, how my soul does the same. I can go on a spiritual retreat and come home filled with knowledge and the unconditional love of God. I fell like I could conquer the world and no one can bring me down. Then I get home and life has a way of starting just where I left it. Dirty laundry awaits, dirty dishes have piled in the sink, family has the same attitude...soon my spiritual tank runs empty.

I begin to thirst and hunger for God. I must drink again.

My day begins with prayer and several devotions. Children arrive, they begin to bicker. My own children won't get out of bed. I unload the dishwasher, dishes didn't get clean. Somehow managed to get breakfast on the table. A bowl of cereal and a drink gets spilled. Children start fighting. Paint spills, cat knocks over four drinks at once, and I lose all my computer work I was working on.

I must drink. Drink in the love of God.

Sundays, a day to be with my church family and hear the word of God. Why is it then it's the hardest day to get anyone up and moving? We are lucky to leave fifteen minutes late. Why is there fighting and chaos before we even leave the house? After preparing for Sunday School and Children's church, I end up with hardly anyone in class. I love to worship, but now I'm discouraged.

I hunger for God's closeness, but now bitterness is creeping in.

The one night I can study God's word with other women, it's encouraging to share and learn together. I go with hope that someone will come. A half hour later, no one's showed. Why aren't you growing this Lord? I miss out when no one comes.

Soon my spiritual tanks is empty. I'm sinking...

Much like this preschool song taught us:

Read your Bible, pray every day
pray every day, pray every day
Read your Bible, pray every day
and you'll grow, grow, grow
and you'll grow, grow, grow
Read your Bible, pray every day
and you'll grow, grow, grow

Neglect your Bible, forget to pray
forget to pray, forget to pray
neglect your Bible, forget to pray
and you'll shrink, shrink, shrink
and you'll shrink, shrink, shrink
and you'll shrink, shrink, shrink
neglect your Bible, forget to pray
and you"ll shrink, shrink, shrink

When I don't get the time to spend time with God, life seems to get out of control. The thirst grows deeper, my glass begins to empty. I need to remember even when things try to bring me down that my relationship with God is what keeps me strong. Taking the time to pray, read my Bible, and worship Him are all important. I need to keep my soul longing after Him.







3 comments:

  1. Yes, we must hunger and thirst after righteousness. And keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, not others, along the way. Great encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know and understand the feelings of those who don't show! Their lack of commitment hurts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, we all need to be replenished and refilled. It's nice when others feel the same.

    ReplyDelete