Tuesday, May 13, 2014

A Most Pleasant Day

Her children arise and call her blessed... Proverbs 31:28a

From one emotion to the next...I wonder sometimes did I do a good job? Are my children going to make it? Why do they get that attitude?

There have been many times when I wondered, "where did I go wrong?", "how can they be so uncaring?", "I mean I'm not like that am I?"

When my mechanical son was younger, it was report card day. It had never been a good day for him. He struggled in school, and certain subjects were harder for him. I knew that it was report card day, and when he arrived home. I asked to see it.

"Well, I didn't get it," he replied.

"Not get it, oh come on. I know you did, now let me see it." I held out my hand, but he insisted again that he had not received it. "Let me look in your backpack then."

He held tight to his backpack and would not let me look through it. I knew he was lying and hiding something from me. I tried to get it from him, but this turned into a battle that did not end well.

When I finally got the backpack, I found his report card. He had changed his F into a B, and then told me his teacher said he could. He lied, he deceived, and he knew he had done wrong.

I felt like a complete failure.

My daughter the last few weeks has been grumpier with people. She complains and hasn't been that pleasant to be around. I wondered again, where does she get that from? I admit my attitude isn't always wonderful either. Is she this way because of me?

A couple of weeks ago, my athletic son was working on his truck and asked his brother for help. My mechanical son would go out for a couple of minutes tell him what to do, and then head right back in to do what he wanted. Not a really helpful attitude, again I wonder how can he be not so helpful?

This past Sunday though, I was treated special. My daughter made me breakfast. My sons showered me with gifts and even stopped me from loading the dishwasher. Then my daughter though she brought me to tears. Not only did she get me a gift and a card, but she wrote me a beautiful note.

She told me she loved me and thanked me for helping her figure things out with God. The clincher though was, "I thank you for homeschooling me! I would've been a totally different person if I would've gone to middle school." Then of course she made me laugh by apologizing for her making me gain 40 pounds while I was pregnant.

So I guess even if my children are moody, sometimes deceitful, and not always the best helpers, they are walking in the Lord and trying to live God's purpose for their lives.

Thank you Lord for each my children they are each a special gift from you.

1 comment: