Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Sometimes I'd Rather be a Hippo

Lazy hands make a man poor, but diligent hands bring wealth. Proverbs 10:4 NIV

A trip to the zoo can be rather interesting. The smells, the sounds, the seeing the different animals...it was an enjoyable day.

The kids had lots of questions and were very good as we walked and walked. Most of them experienced touching a string ray, and it was quite amusing as the manatee seemed to be drawn to our bright orange shirts. We even witness an orangutan getting dressed.

After a lunch break we continued our voyage. There was still much to see. The prairie dogs were busy at work as usual. Their diligence brought about new holes and a lot of business that I don't quite understand. At times I feel busy. I set about on a task that I know needs completed and keep at it until it's done. Business that no one quite understands but me.

Then we saw the hippo. At first, we thought he was hiding somewhere since we didn't see him. To our surprise he was in the water right under our feet, napping away completely unaware of our presence. It was very hot and I thought "how wonderful it would be, to be in the cool water relaxing away." The hippo seemed rather content to be lazy. At times it's nice to be lazy. Laying around not worrying about anything.

There are times when I need to be busy. It's a lot easier to get the things done when they need to be rather than putting it off and adding undo stress in my life. It's when things get piled up that I tend to be more stressful and grumpy.  There are also times when it's OK to be lazy. God does want us to take a day of rest at least once a week.

Now where is my swimsuit and raft? It's time to relax and enjoy the coolness of the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment