Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Being Out of My Comfort Zone Wasn't So Bad

So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in  suffering for the gospel, by the power of God, who has saved us and called us to a holy life--not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. 2 Timothy 1:8-9 NIV

A couple of weeks ago I shared that God was calling me to something. Something that was not in my plan, and I really never saw myself doing. This past Sunday though I did it, and if it wasn't for the Lord I wouldn't have.

When I woke up Sunday morning I felt fine. Of course the task of what God called me to do was on my mind, but I wasn't nervous. In fact, I had peace. Then we arrived at church and soon the butterflies danced in my stomach.

The friend who first suggested the idea came up early to hug and encourage me. She was unable to be there later because she just started a job five days sooner. I had time by myself in the sanctuary where the butterflies disappeared leaving me with peace once again.

I went about my usual routine, well pretty much we had a cover dish following service and there was stuff to do to prepare for that. Funny how God affirmed the message I was to give with the Sunday School lesson for the kids.

Service began as usual, there were a few returners since it was the 119th birthday of the church. After passing of the peace and the next song the butterflies returned. I looked to another friend to let her know I was nervous and she mouthed "You can do it", to me.

My husband introduced me and I proceeded to the pulpit. Funny how that short walk left me with peace once again. I shared the message God called me to share and before I knew it the task was completed.

God and His power is what got me through. I'm not quite sure why He called me to give the message on this particular day. All I know is when I hear His call I need to obey. For it is by His grace that I have been saved and through Him all things are possible. Even if I have to come out of my comfort zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment