Tuesday, January 8, 2013

To Keep My Cup Filled

Be very careful then, then how you live--not as unwise but as wise making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil...Instead be filled with the Spirit. Ephesians 5: 15 & 18b

Eleven days off, what would my days be filled with? Sure Christmas and New Year's were a couple of those days, but the rest were free. Over half of them would be spent at home without day care children. I didn't realize just how quiet my house could be.

Funny, how quickly I got out of my routine. My devotion time became filled with other things. Sure I prayed and a couple of times I opened my Bible, but nothing like I usually do. One Sunday I didn't even go to church. I thought about it and decided I can worship the Lord at the campground.

Instead I sat around the fire, reading a book or logging into Facebook from my phone. Lazying in a chair. Sure I got up once and took a long bike ride. Still I could feel the fat just adding to my body.

The thing is I began to miss something. I missed sitting down and reading the devotions that come through my e-mail. The reading of devotions, the book I'm reading to help me be a better parent, the taking notes from the chapters I read out of the Bible...all of things that help keep my cup full. I missed them.

I even missed my friends at church. I didn't see them on Sunday, so it'd been almost two weeks before I saw them again. I missed my day care kids and their parents who are part of my normal routine.

My cup began to fill empty. I needed the routine, so I could keep my cup full. For me to serve the Lord,  I need to take the time for me. I need to keep up with my devotions and a more intimate prayer time with my Lord. I need to make the most of every opportunity, so that my days may be filled with joy.

So even though it's good to take a break from the routine. I need to remember to keep connecting to the source of my strength.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Diana ... I liked this one!
    Happy New Year ... I hope you are well! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete