Tuesday, September 25, 2012

It's OK to Ask

So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be open to you. Luke 11:9 NIV

Recently I was shocked, people admitted that they feel guilty for asking God for things. One person even shared he didn't know how to talk to God. He just recited the prayers he knew.

For me asking is just a part of the talking with God. I don't pray for a million dollars and I don't ask the Lord to hurt anybody. Generally I just talk to God like he's my best friend, He is by the way.

If we use the word PRAY, it can be used as and acronym to help you know what to pray.

P-praise...I honor Him, He likes to hear my praise and adoration I have for Him. I even thank Him for things that seem weird. Like today the A/C unit froze up again, last time it needed a good cleaning. So I figured we can handle that ourselves. First though I have to get the unit thawed out. I remembered what the A/C repairmen said about how to run the unit so it won't freeze. Keep the fan on on instead of on auto, so I did that and turned the unit off for an hour.

A half hour later the fan shuts itself off, no read out on my control. So I waited and prayed it would come back on a half hour later. No deal, now I need to call the repairman. He calls me back and knows what the problem is. Then he explains to me how to fix it. Now how many A/C guys would tell you that. God didn't exactly answer my prayer the way I intended, instead He let me see that there is still people who are there to help you out.

R-repent...This is a time when I seek forgiveness for things I have done. I may be a Christian, but that doesn't stop me from making mistakes. I need to come to the Lord and let him know when I've screwed up. He's OK with that, He'll just wipe my slate clean once again. Then I try really hard not to mess up again.

A-ask... He tells us to ask. Usually I ask for others needs first. I ask Him questions I need answers to. I don't know everything and I really need His guidance. Especially when I have tough decisions to make. This is when it's OK to ask Him to meet your financially needs or any needs. He knows how much money I need and He will provide. He never ceases to amaze me in providing for our needs.

Y-yourself...See it's OK to pray fro yourself. Often I'm asking for the strength I need to get me through the day. Sometimes I pray for things I desire, it never hurts to ask all He can say is no or not now. Ocasionally he does say "yes".

Just remember prayer is simply having a conversation with God. He loves to hear from you, even if you have to start with the simple child prayer you learned. Any conversation is better than no conversation. God is there 24/7, he longs to have you come to Him. Don't be afraid, he won't bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment