Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Adopted Into the Family

"... who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of  light." Colosians 1:12b NIV

"You're now Hannah Stuart." A three year old boy in my care shared.

"No, I'm not I'm Hannah Jones," the three year girl answered back.

The argument continued then I heard his logic. "No, you were adopted. You're now Hannah Stuart because I'm James Stuart."

He made a good point. Of the nine kids in my day care five of them recently were adopted into families: two to one family and three to another. The little boy just assumed since he was adopted and his last name changed, and this little girl was adopted too. They both must have the same last name.

I had to explain that a different Mommy and Daddy adopted her, so her name is different. He hasn't quite got it and still insists on calling her "Hannah Stuart".

He did get me thinking though. About how we are each adopted when we accept Christ as our personal Savior. Maybe we don't get a name change, but we do get our name written into God's family. We take on the name child of God.

We are guaranteed an entrance into the Kingdom of heaven. We become God's sons and daughters.

Today our preschool lesson was about everyone being allowed to be in the family of God. We need to treat everyone as our brother and sister. How interesting, all of us are family!

So welcome to the family! My brothers and sisters in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment