Tuesday, August 21, 2012

It's Easier to Blame

The man said, "The woman you put here with me--she gave me some fruit from the tree and I ate it." Genesis 3:12 NIV

"I didn't do it," the young boy said.

"I watched you do it." I told him.

"Well, um, he did it first," came the reply.

Why are we so quick to defend ourselves? Why don't we just admit to when we do something wrong? Wouldn't that be much easier?

The blame game goes a long way back, all the way to Adam and Eve. One of the reasons I feel quick to defend myself is I really don't want anyone to know I made a mistake. We all make them, but to admit to them is another thing.

Funny thing is I get frustrated when the kids don't admit to what I've seen them do. It makes me mad. Maybe I should take a lesson from God. He witness what they had done, he knew it before he confronted them. Yet when they hymn and hall about admitting to what they've done, he doesn't yell or lose his cool. He explains their punishment and is done with it.

Also I should just admit to the wrong I've done instead of avoiding the conflict. Life would probably be much simpler if I did. Sure there'd be consequences, but if I'd admit then I could be forgiven and restored.

1 comment:

  1. Amen... We waste a lot of time and energy on this and so many other reactions... If we truly act Christ like, so many things become less important. hard to do, in His power it's possible, one event at a time.

    ReplyDelete