Friday, September 22, 2023

Walking in Darkness

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12

Standing there in the dark cave I couldn't see my hand in front of my face and for a few moments it was alright, still I was craving the light. The temptation to pull out my phone and find the flashlight was crossing my mind. The guide though assured us that if we waited it would be worth it, also while explaining to us that if we stayed in the darkness for too long we would actually go crazy.

So I waited and yes, when he began to turn the lights on it was worth it. It was a simple projector that displayed little lights in the cave, but it was spectacular view. It was like twinkling stars in the sky.

I don't know about you, but I do not like the dark. There is a reason I have a night light in every room of the house. It maybe because my little brother liked to tease me, by hiding around the corner in the dark just so he could jump out and scare me. Walking in the darkness, is no joking matter.

There was a time in my life I walked in partial darkness. I accepted Jesus as a young teen and I knew He was there, but I didn't let Him into all the places of my life into the dark corners. Have you ever noticed that when you do turn on a light in the room, that there is still some places the light doesn't reach?

I had not let the light of the world into all the places of my life. Sure the light guided me, there were times when I was faced with decisions between right and wrong and most of the time I chose to walk in the light. But I still didn't trust completely in the light.

But to have a daily time to read the word and study what the light was trying to say to me, there just wasn't time for that. A simple "Now I lay me down to sleep...God Bless..." was a good enough prayer, right? Still the light was in my life, even when there were dark times.

The day came though that the light needed to get into the corners. My money decisions were leading us to ruin. My husband trusted me and yet I had failed. Could it really be that the world's way of spending our money wasn't the right way? Was maxing out our credit cards and not paying our mortgage not the right way? There was only one way to bring light into the darkness, to surrender to the light.

Now I do not walk in darkness, I walk with the light of life. Will you let the light come in? Will you let the light drive out the darkness? Can Jesus come into all the corners and crevices of your life? 





No comments:

Post a Comment