Wednesday, July 29, 2015

So Much to Live Up To

I love the house where you live, O Lord, the place where your glory dwells. Psalm 26:8 NIV

As a wife, mother, daughter, sister...sometimes there is a lot of pressure to live up to some type of standard. A standard where everyone expects so much from you. At times I fail, at times I succeed, and other times I just barely get by.

To my surprise I realized this standard that I try to live up to isn't exactly the standard that God had planned for me. A lot of things change in the world and these changes soon become the norm, what we as women are expected to live up to.

One of these expectations we as women are to live up to is Susie Homemaker. A woman who has the perfect children, who are dressed in the finest clothes, and participates in all the extra circular activities they can. She makes sure her family eats the best food and always has more than enough for those friends that might stop by. Her home is always clean; no crumb, no dust, nothing out of place. She either home school's her children or participates at the school as class mom. She keeps her weight down. She always willing to help out.

Another expectation is Superwoman. We probably know her. She is at the top of career. Her children are also perfect and she balances home-life, career, hobbies, exercise, and volunteering. She soars at everything she does. She comes home from work and prepares her family the five course dinner. She never yells at her kids, and she makes sure to spend the quality time with each one of them. Her house is also clean and she makes sure her children's grades are perfect. She does everything well.

A Biblical example of a woman we feel we need to live up to is the Proverbs 31 woman. I am sure you've heard about her. She rises before the sun is up and prepares breakfast and has her day's tasks figured out. She's a wise business woman. She makes everyone's clothes and linens. She makes sure her husband is well known and respected. She has a great sense of humor and never worries. She is kind and well liked. She surpasses everyone in all she does.

So with all theses expectations just what are we to do? Whose standard should we live up to? Do we try to be the homemaker, superwoman, or the Proverbs 31 woman?

I believe we should live up to what God expects of us. I have tried to live up to other people's standards and you know what it doesn't work. I ended up frustrated, worried, and a failure. It's when I started seeking God that I finally found success. I live to please Him and that for me has made a difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment