Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Must Get Out There and Shop

Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 2 Corinthians 9:7 NIV

The ads went out. The sales were on. The stores were ready to take my money, after all Christmas is coming.

I must confess something, some of you might think I went "Bah Humbug", but I didn't go shopping on Black Friday. I didn't go out on Thanksgiving either. I stayed in bed and then relaxed at the campground with my family.

Why is it the retailers really push us shopping? I know they need to make money. This time of year brings in the biggest profits for them. Which to my enlightenment, I discovered Black Friday became known as Black Friday because it's the time of the year the stores begin to show a profit. Instead of being in the red now they are in the black.

Do you feel like you need to get everybody you know a Christmas gift? Do you believe your children need the latest gizmo's and gadgets? Are you worried that you didn't get the right gift?

This verse struck me today. Paul was writing the Corinthians about their giving to God here, but today the message to me was different. It came as a comfort.

Last year money was really tight. In fact, we found a way to make most of our Christmas gifts. Sure we felt bad not giving more, but our hearts were in the right place. Once again money is tight, but I am comforted by the fact that I can decide what is right in my heart to give and then present the gift cheerfully.

I shouldn't feel like I have to compete with what everybody else is giving. I shouldn't feel reluctant to give a gift. Especially if I didn't pay a bill in order to get that gift. I should figure out what I can afford and be happy to give what I can.



Each present I give will have had some thought go into it, and in my heart I know it will be just the right gift. After all, God gave us just the right gift in a stable in Bethlehem.

No comments:

Post a Comment