Tuesday, November 12, 2013

I Just Wanted to do a Happy Dance

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4 NIV

As I walked through the door, I knew where the first stop would be. The dreaded scale. Today though I wasn't dreading it, instead I was curious. Curious to see if it would show a difference like my scale at home has.

For some reason the doctor's office scale is never the same as the scale I use at home. There is usually a ten pound heavier difference.

I approached the scale, hoping it will show a lighter me. Of course the read out for the scale is above my head. I glanced up and I was pleasantly surprised. I was fifteen pounds lighter than the last time I'd been to the doctor. Of course this scale showed me heavier than the one at home, but still I was overjoyed. So much so in fact I wanted to do a happy dance, but instead the nurse hurried me to my room.

There are many different occasions in our lives when we just want to do a happy dance: an engagement, a wedding, the birth of a child, our child scores the winning point, the diagnosis of no cancer, a pay raise...

What stops us from enjoying the moment? Why not shout out to the Lord our praise?

For me a lot of times it's my shyness. I mean I was praising the Lord on the inside. I even managed to pull my fist into my side to say, "yes, the hard work is paying off." But to actually do a happy dance with people watching or rushing me, I stop short.

I guess it was alright, because I rejoiced with the Lord. It's been His guidance that has gotten me this far.

Maybe next time I'll have more courage to do a "Praise the Lord" dance and celebrate with those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment