Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Peace Is Given

For he himself is our peace... Ephesians 2:14a NIV

There it was on the calendar almost taunting me. Really, I tried not to think about it but then there it would be bugging me an instant reminder. It's not that I dread going to the dentist. It doesn't bother me at all. That could be that I went a lot as a teenager; I had braces.

The last few years though haven't been much fun. Every time they try to do x-rays, I have a problem I gag. It's not that I mean too, it just sort of happens. So of course when I see the schedule appointment on the calendar my mind starts to think about the dreaded x-rays.

Sure I block it out because I don't want to be nervous and cause it which is not my fault. A few days before the appointment the thought comes again, but I quickly dismissed. The night before the thought crosses my mind again. This time though I talked to God about it. He after all got me through my eye doctor appointment a few months back by helping me with the air puff in the eye. Another thing I have trouble with.

I left it with God, and trust in Him to help me get through the x-rays. The day comes for my cleaning, I didn't really think about gagging and the x-rays. Then as I'm about to go in my wonderful husband says, "they're all ready for the lady who can't take x-rays. I prepared them for you." Gee, thanks.

Slowly I crept to the room with the chair. The dental hygienist says, "We're only going to do two today. I'll be quick."

"I'll be fine," I think. She gets it ready, when I discover it's the adult size x-rays not the kid size. Not good! Not good!

She puts the first one in and I managed to get it done. Sure the stuff was out of my mouth by the time she returned, but I was successful.

Side number two was a different story. The gagging began a lot sooner and she was not able to get it. "Alright we'll try again." She tried to rush me, but I was still gagging and felt as though it would begin again any second.

"I'll let you know when I'm ready."

That's when I noticed it. The dentist office has glass doors in each room, so we're able to look outside. As I gazed out the door, I saw a butterfly, a peaceful reminder that the Lord is with me. I gathered my courage, "I'm ready." Side two was a success, again the stuff was spit out before she reentered the room.

The Lord was with me and gave me peace. Now I don't have to do that again for six months.

No comments:

Post a Comment