Tuesday, October 16, 2012

As Simple As a Gift

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith--and this is not from yourself, it is the gift of God... Ephesians 2:8

One Christmas quite a few years ago, I really wanted a bread machine. To be able to make home made bread and fresh pizza dough sounded exciting.

My want was answered, not only did I receive one bread machine--I got two. I kept one and returned the other. At first I made bread a lot, at least once a week. Sometimes more. I found different recipes, ones that didn't even come with the book. English muffins, bagels, soft pretzels...it was all very yummy.

Soon though I got busy, I would think about making a fresh loaf of bread, but then it would be to close to dinner. Later the bread machine even got moved to another place to store. Then it would become a real bother to get it out, it would take planning and thought. Still on occasion it gets pulled out and used, the fresh bread is well worth the effort.

Our life with God can become like my bread machine. At first when we receive him we're excited. We desire to pray and really get to know him better. We meet with him on a daily basis. We find different ways to know more about him.

Soon though life gets busy. We get easily sidetracked. Our devotion time gets in the way of our social time or other free time. We soon move our Bible into another location because it's in the way. On occasion we might look up a verse and we might pray. We wonder though is it worth the effort.

This past weekend served as a reminder that it is. A relationship with God is a gift, a gift we've each been given. So as I smell the fresh bread baking, I plan to meet with my Abba Father. The effort is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment