Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:7 NIV

"You can't baby him, Eliza Jane, he needs to get up and come to the table. If he wants to eat he'll come," Laura Ingalls Wilder said (or something close to this) in the episode where her husband Almanzo contracts diphtheria. During a hail storm he rushes out of bed to save his crops during a hail storm, then he suffers a stroke leaving the left side of his body paralyzed.

The doctor seemed to think that if he worked the body parts he would regain use of them. Instead, he gives up and figures he should just accept the fact that he will live the rest of his life paralyzed and be no good to anyone.

His sister hears of his trouble and has come to "help", instead she goes behind Laura's back and babies Almanzo.

The reason I brought this up is because during the scene I described I realized that I am a lot like Laura. I don't like to baby anyone, I mean I'll try and help them when their sick. I like to see someone fight to try and regain their strength and hope to live. If someone is capable of performing a task even if it might be difficult for him then I much rather see him try.

During physical therapy I heard a lot of gripping and people wanting to give up. The therapist though were there to encourage and help them to persevere. I managed to persevere too, as I trusted in them to help me regain my strength and return to doing what I was before. With their guidance I am as good as new (Kind of I'm where I was before the fall).

Sometimes love can be tough, when all you want to do after a difficult time is protect and not let them get hurt again. Then again, we need to trust that all will be well and hope for the best even if it's tough as we persevere through the darkest days.

Oh by the way, Alamnzo finally gains his wife's courage and walks again. He's able to provide for his family once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment