Tuesday, February 28, 2012

It Stayed Red!

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praise worthy--think about such things. Philippians 4:8 NIV

Driving my normal route and I was even making good time, when I hit traffic. It seemed strange to be so far back in line at this particular traffic light, but figured it should change momentarily. My daughter and I talked and we sat waiting.After a couple songs on the radio, we still sat.

"This is strange," I thought. "They must not be heavy enough to trigger the light." That's when the first car in line did it--they ran the red light. Several cars followed since the traffic in the other directions was clear. I don't know if the other cars followed because they trusted the light had changed and they just followed or if all of them intentionally ran the red light.

Well when I got up to my turn, I figured I'd wait because I wanted to do the right thing. Besides, I drive a 1 ton van, surely my vehicle was heavy enough to remind the light, "Hey, I need to change." The car next to me stayed also. So we sat and we sat and you guessed it we sat. The traffic cleared, and we still sat.

What were we supposed to do? I want to do the right thing, obeying the laws is the right thing. We waited through another song, plenty of time for the light to change. It didn't change, so cautiously as the traffic cleared I and the car beside me and behind me ran the red light! I didn't know what else to do, how long are you supposed to wait when the light doesn't appear to be working correctly.

I guess this where I needed to ask "What would Jesus do?" Would he have ran the red light? I don't know, since the traffic light didn't come around for 1,000s of years after he was here. I think maybe he would have helped the light change, and if it didn't gone on through.

No comments:

Post a Comment