Friday, April 3, 2020

Just Want to Get a Hug

And let us considered how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the day drawing near. Hebrews 10;24-25 ESV

I am quite sure I am not liking this social isolation. I guess it's for our own good and the good of others, but I dare say I am quite tired of it.

A few weeks ago when we could still meet at church, it hurt so much not to hug those I usually hug. It was strange to tap elbows, we are made to hug. Some of us aren't huggers, but some of us are. It was so hard not to hug and show that we're in this together.

When I was sitting in a waiting room, this woman in a wheelchair dropped her pen. All I wanted to do was get up, pick up the pen, and hand it back to her. Instead, I sat there wondering if I should help. I thought she might freak out if I got up and got in her six foot bubble to pick up the pen. Then I thought what if she has the virus then if I pick up the pen then I would get the virus.

The other day when picking up groceries, a man was asking me about how many eggs he could get. He was getting in my six foot bubble and I tried not to let it bother me, but there I was thinking, "he shouldn't be this close to me."

Is this what the world is coming too? Do we start looking at everyone as if they have the virus? Are we supposed act like at each person can infect me?

We were created to be with each other. God created Eve for Adam because God saw it wasn't good for man to be alone.

As Easter approaches this isolation from others is growing worse. Not only is Easter next week, but our son has a birthday. How are we supposed to celebrate, virtually? It's just not the same.

This also has me thinking what would Jesus do. Would he look at each person as a virus? Would he venture out with a face mask? Would he elbow bumped people or keep a six foot bubble around himself?

First thing he'd do is pray and ask God what He should do because Jesus would follow God's will. Then I think if he was out he would see people as God sees them-children of God, fearfully and wonderfully made. He wouldn't be afraid of a virus. He would pick up the lady's pen and pray for her. He would tell the man how many eggs and maybe ask him how many does he need. He'd comfort us and love each one of us as He loves himself.

Sure we need to honor our governing authorities, but we need to see each other as wonderful children of God. Not as a disease. Not as someone I could get the disease from. Don't stop loving your neighbor, if you feel God calling you to help then help. Don't sit in your home all alone, but reach out to others through phone calls, Facetime, or text.

Stop listening to the hype instead listen to your heart and where God leads you. Reach out in safe ways and pray for God's guidance. Find something to be joyful about. Don't give up, this to shall pass and this will all be a memory. But most of all trust in God, he has good plans.






No comments:

Post a Comment