Wednesday, November 20, 2019

To Wave or Not to Wave?

Let brotherly love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. Hebrews 13:1-2

On my way to do school pick up I pass a couple crossing guards as I pass I wave at each of them. One of them waves enthusiastically back and the other does everything she can to not look towards me. She seems almost afraid to wave.

The art of waving to others seems to be fading. There used to be a time when waving and smiling at others was common. A train would go by and we'd wave at the conductor or at the amusement park when the tram or train would go by we'd wave. Someone standing on the corner a simple wave. What has happened to this art?

Are we to busy to notice others? Are we scared to make a connection? Would a smile and wave hurt that much?

Showing hospitality to others, seems like a simple thing. All it takes to begin is a wave and a smile. Sure driving in my van seems like a safe place to wave from, it doesn't involve talking just a wave as I go by. Would I have the courage to wave and smile as I walked by? Or would I do everything I could to avoid making a connection?

Sometimes my shy side gets the better of me I turn into the one who does everything I can to avoid looking at others. Sometimes it's easier to not connect rather than showing that brotherly love. My prayer is that I am able to open up and show God's love to everyone I meet.


No comments:

Post a Comment