Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Able to Laugh

Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Psalm 126:2 NIV

I knew it was a long shot, but once again I heard MR. BIG VOICE. The tenth caller wins ice cream, so why not try.

Earlier I tried and the phone actually rang instead of the annoying buzzing. I was almost afraid to hang up but after 50 rings it was time to throw in the towel. This time it rang the first time I tired, so I awaited the 50 rings before I hung up again.

I worked my puzzle and listened to the busy chatter of 4 children. "Are you 18?" the voice on the other end asked.

"Yes, I am 18." I answered back not sure why I was asked but figured it had to do something with winning the ice cream. Seconds passed...reality set in...did I just say I was 18?

Quickly I corrected myself, after all I can't lie. Especially, since I am the mother of an 18 year old. Later, I got to listen to myself on the radio as I made a fool of myself. The laughter bubbled over in my daughter, my husband, the children in my care, and in myself as it was rather comical. Later my sons got a laugh when the story was retold to them.

Sometimes my days get so crazy and stressed that I forget to laugh. The tension rises in me until my jaw is tight and I feel as if I could explode at any moment. Sometimes the things everybody else laughs at is just not funny to me, and I wonder am I taking life to serious?

Laughter is good for the soul, it relieves the tension and helps bring joy back into the day. Hopefully, I can remember this the next time I get to tense. It's also good to be able to laugh at myself when I get caught off guard.

Take time to laugh...

1 comment: